Skip to main content

In the Kitchen with Gram...Beef and Pork Dumplings!

Well, I was gonna try to "wow" you today with some video...I had visions of a Mama and Gram video a la Food Network material, but it turns out, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to video. Photography? I can fake my way through it...video? Not so much.

So, photos it'll be! (And I just heard a collective sigh of relief from y'all.)

This recipe is one of my VERY favorites...so much so that I requested it for my birthday dinner last year. My mom thought that it was pretty hilarious because this meal is made from leftovers...so, basically, I asked for leftovers for my birthday!



Yes, it's true...made from leftovers and OH SO delicious! Save that left over pork roast and beef roast next time and whip up a batch of Gram's Dumplings. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

Okay, so that left over pork roast and beef roast that you had from a few days ago that you don't know what to do with? Grab 'em and the gravy they rode in on.

Roasts:



Gravy:




Dice up some onions and carrots and toss 'em into the gravy:


Stir 'em in and get them cookin'! At this point, you can add some beef or vegetable broth to thin the gravy and increase the volume of the gravy...we added a can of vegetable broth and it was perfect! By the time it cooks down, the gravy was the perfect consistency! (You want this slightly thinner than your traditional gravy...just slightly.)



When the gravy/carrot mixture begins to boil, allow it to cook for a bit, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.

While it's cooking, grab your roasts and dice them up:



And toss 'em into the gravy:



Now you need to let this cook until the carrots are nice and tender and the meat is heated all the way through.

While it's cooking away, mix up your dumpling batter. (Batter? Is that the proper term?) Realize that you don't have any photos of said mixing because you were trying to be all "Food Network" and video'd the whole event rather than photographing it.

Lesson learned.




When your meat has sufficiently heated and the carrots are beginning to get tender, drop the dumpling dough (DOUGH! That's the term...) onto the top of the gravy.


Cook it uncovered for 10 minutes, then put the cover on (do you like my Gram's Christmas present from her grandchildren? Guess who spearheaded this baby?) for 10 minutes:



What happens in that covered 10 minutes is miraculous:



I die. And you will too when you taste this. It is so delicious!!!


Enjoy!

Gram's Beef and Pork Dumplings
Printable Recipe



Leftover pork and beef roasts, cubed
Leftover gravy
1 small onion, finely diced (or briefly processed in food processor)
3-4 carrots, finely diced (or briefly processed)
1 small can of beef or vegetable broth (optional for more and/or thinner gravy)

Place gravy in large pot, add carrots and onions and bring to gentle boil, making sure to stir frequently to prevent sticking. After 10 minutes or so, add meat and continue to simmer and stir. When meat is heated through and carrots are tender, add dumplings:

Dumplings
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 T. butter or shortening
3/4 c. milk

Cut butter into dry ingredients, add milk, stir to combine. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto top of gravy, cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then covered (no peeking!) for 10 minutes.

Serve immediately over dumplings or for an added deliciousness, over mashed potatoes, and gush about how delicious these leftovers are!




Comments

  1. Im slightly the sucker for some delicious dumplings (of any kind) so I will totally have to try making this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do try it! It is one of my favorite (hence the asking for it for my birthday meal!) meals...comfort food to the max!

      Delete
  2. May I just say any time I see your posts of your Gram's cooking, I wish I could come eat some of it. It looks so good! And it doesn't matter if I've just ate a meal. Oh and that le creuset pot. HEART! I could have an entire kitchen of le creuset cookware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, my Gram is an incredible cook! And, she's a "real" cook...usually nothing fancy or difficult about her recipes! And the Le Creuset? I die. It is so gorgeous. We have an outlet nearish to us and the prices are really quite reasonable! I need another piece. Stat!

      Delete
  3. oh yummy, throw in some yummy rolls to slurp it up with and I will a happy pregnant women

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte