Skip to main content

His Birth...

As told from an aunt's perspective!

When my SIL's induction got delayed a day due to many other babies wanting to come into this world on 10/24, I was bummed for her but ecstatic for me because...I worked the next day!

I wanted to be at Baby C's birth more than I can ever begin to explain, but I wasn't sure how my SIL would feel about that. We had already talked about the possibility of me being HER nurse and decided that I wouldn't be...for me it was more that I was too emotionally invested and I was afraid if things started going bad that I wouldn't be able to separate nurse from aunt.

So, the night before her rescheduled induction, I sent her a text. It went something like this:

"So, I've been thinking, feel free to say no!, but just wondering, you know, if it's okay, if possibly, ONLY if you're comfortable with it, that maybe, perhaps, if you really don't mind, that I could potentially be Baby C's nurse at his delivery. FEEL FREE TO SAY NO! It's YOUR thing, not mine! But maybe?"

And she wrote back something like, "Baby nurse?"

And I was all, "ONLY if you don't mind! Yes, every baby has it's own nurse at deliveries and I'd love it, if you're okay with it, 'cuz I understand if you'd rather not, but I'd really enjoy to be there...BUTONLYIFYOUDON'TCARE!"

And she was all, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That would be awesome! Imagine that story as you're growing up!"

And I was all, *big deep breath that I didn't know I was holding*, "YAY!!! See you tomorrow!"

Guys? It worked out. I was able to be my nephew's nurse and while I attend births every time I'm at work and they are all amazing, there is just...something...about having an emotional connection to the baby you are witnessing take his first breath.

It was wonderful.

Everything went so well, that I was able to grab a few "fresh after delivery" photos of my nephew and his proud mama and dad! Watching my big brother become a dad for the very first time was a blessing in and of itself.

There may have been a few tears...and I won't tell you if they were mine or his! (Or both?!)

Anyway...some of my favorites...




I just love that little guy.


Comments

  1. How sweet! That will be an amazing story as your nephew grows up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful. Not to mention the baby is absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! We are expecting our third little one this April and I absolutely cannot wait! This is one of the most amazing experiences life has to offer and I am so thankful I get to have it to treasure. Congratulations on your sweet little nephew!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the one of him with his little squinty eyes trying to open with all that gooky ointment. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable little man! Being present at births are amazing. I have been at six births not including my own! I watched my sister birth all three of her babies. I watched one of my friends birth her baby and I watched another friend birth her two kiddos! Absolutely the most AMAZING experience ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet & precious. That will be an amazing story to tell him many years later once he is older!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte