Skip to main content

Five Question Friday!! 12/16/11


Can you believe that Christmas is in *gulp* one week and two days (or one day if you start celebrating on Christmas Eve but we won't talk about that because I need my psyche to think that I have as many days as possible otherwise she might just spontaneously combust into a big poof of Christmas glitter).


I have some shopping left to do. More than I want to have to do. And, my baking? Nada. Zilch. Nunya. Not a single thing done.

I WANT MY MOMMY! Or, a nice leave of absence from work so that I can finish everything I need to do. Think they'd approve that? ;)

Anyway...let's get a move on!

Welcome to Five Question Friday!! You've come to the right place if you want a fun, easy post or if you've suddenly discovered your muses have been Christmas baking and are covered in flour and chocolate.

Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky post to appear Friday morning and LINK UP!

Oh, and remember (pay close attention...this is the important one)...HAVE FUN!

Questions for Friday, December 9th: (Special thanks to @bloggerlinds (and @kandiipie too!), @kenedram, Sharayha, @bellismom and little old me for their question suggestions! I would love to link you in a future 5QF, so come on over to my community or watch for my Thursday afternoon shout out for questions on Twitter and offer up your best question suggestions! Remember to @5crookedhalos me and use hashtag #5QF if you go the Twitter route!)

1. What's the best Christmas present you've ever received?

2. Worst/Funniest White Elephant gift ever received?

3. Is your Christmas tree plain and simple (white lights and matching ornaments) or is it wild and crazy (colored lights with lots of ornaments collected over the years)?

4. "How" do you iron your clothes? The old fashioned iron/ironing board way, the shower, back in the dryer, etc.

5. How much baking do you do for Christmas and what are your "must make" items? (I'm looking for recipes here, peeps...)

---------------------------------------------

1. What's the best Christmas present you've ever received?

Oh my gosh. I've had some pretty fabulous Christmas gifts.

But my favorite? Wow...this is going to take some thought. Hold please...

Well, there's Marlboro Man, whom I love.

However, I've gotta go with my Grampa's Garden lap blanket. It's a minky/flannel covered grain-filled blanket that you heat in the microwave and man alive...that thing has gotten me through many sore neck, back, shoulders and warmed my "frozen to the core" Minnesota body.

I highly recommend one for someone in your life. They are FABULOUS. (And, no, I didn't get paid to say that.)

2. Worst/Funniest White Elephant gift ever received?

Would you believe that I've never participated in a White Elephant gift exchange?

But, I have received some doozies of a present. 'Course, since many of my family members read here, I can't say...'cuz then I'd hurt feelings and that would make me sad.

And I don't like being sad.

It's always funny when you open one of "those" gifts. When I was a teenager, I used to hold up whatever "offending" (spoiled much?) item I'd just received so that it blocked my face and I'd say, "Ohhhhhhh, I love it! Thank you!!" in what I thought was a sincere voice but probably came out sounding more like, "For real? When you saw this on the shelf what, exactly, about it said "Mama"?"

It makes for funny stories with my mom though. (Babushka anyone? Funny, almost exactly one year ago, we did this same question!)

3. Is your Christmas tree plain and simple (white lights and matching ornaments) or is it wild and crazy (colored lights with lots of ornaments collected over the years)?

Someday, I'd love to have a "gorgeous" tree. With perfectly placed lights, wrapped in ribbon, coordinating ornaments covering the entire thing...but for now?

Chaos.

Our tree represents our life. Falling down tinsle, ornament heavy bottom half, ornaments that are very much "kid oriented".

But I love it. It is perfect for our life right now.

4. "How" do you iron your clothes? The old fashioned iron/ironing board way, the shower, back in the dryer, etc.

Okay, so we don't even own an ironing board. We have a half wall that we do our ironing on. Oh, and by "we" I do not, in any way, shape or form include myself in that. Iron, I do not.

I have been know to toss a shirt back in the dryer or, if we're at a hotel, hang a shirt up in the bathroom and turn on the shower as hot as it will go in hopes to "steam" the wrinkles out.

And to think, I know people who iron their sheets. SHEETS! Wait...or was it their underwear?

Either way. Whoa.

Not my kinda thing. To each their own.

5. How much baking do you do for Christmas and what are your "must make" items? (I'm looking for recipes here, peeps...)

I do a decent amount...this year, however? I dunno what I'll get done.

"Oreo balls" are a must (crush a package of oreos in a food processor, mix in a "brick" of softened cream cheese, roll into balls and dip in almond bark. You're welcome.), so I will definitely be making those.

Also, a new favorite treat that I made up are "Toasted Almond Nutella Clusters" (toast sliced almonds until golden brown, melt chocolate bark and add a couple of soup spoon full globs of Nutella, mix in almonds, stir to combine and drop into small "clusters").

And then there are the greatest bars in the world. Let me see if I have the recipe...hold again please...

Nope, not handy. So, I guess I'll try to blog that one soon because they are TO. DIE. FOR.

Oh, and I need to make gingersnaps and nutbread and puppy chow and Heaven in a Bag and Caramel Cashew Chews and...oh crap. I need more time.

Help.

-------------------------------------------

Well, if you need me I guess you'll be able to find me in one of two places: the mall or my kitchen. ;) Have a fabulous weekend!

Comments

  1. oh man. I love me some oreo balls. But I think the ones my friends make don't have cream cheese. Just oreos and butter, dipped in white chocolate almond bark. For the record, they go straight to your hips ;) Not that I know that by experience or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - the oreo balls? Sound, well, amazing. I have lame white elephant gifts sitting around this house. Be glad you've never participated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma is one of those people who irons her sheets LOL! She actually likes to iron! If I don't use my steamer I do the dryer trick too LOL. I don't even know where my ironing board is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandma is one of those people who irons her sheets LOL! She actually likes to iron! If I don't use my steamer I do the dryer trick too LOL. I don't even know where my ironing board is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas tree sounds so fun! Mine is the same when we do one. It definitely reflects the children and where they have been in life so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can't wait to try those Oreo Balls! They sound amazing... THANK YOU! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte