Skip to main content

Practicing for the 4th


My husband works in a field (HA!! Literally...) that is crazy busy during two seasons of the year, and slightly less busy during the other two.

He sells seed for Pioneer and is an agronomist (isn't that a sexy word?), which means he tests soil for farmers and advises them on what to add as well as checking their fields for weeds and bugs while crops are growing so he can advise them on which pesticides to use. (Oh, the horrors, I KNOW! Pesticides. However, he claims their "agenda" is to first get the soil healthy so that the use of chemicals is less.)


Anywho...what this means for our family, is that during the two most glorious seasons in MinneSOOOOta (spring and fall) our husband/father is a working fool. 16 hour days. Sun-up to sun-down. Comes home covered in mud/poop or dust/bug guts, dependant on the season. And, doesn't even make overtime...the joys of owning a business.

Typically, once the 4th of July hits, it's smooth sailing until fall harvest...which means that we finally get our husband/daddy back. And can finally have some cotton pickin' family time!!

We love the 4th of July...for the holiday and for the beginning of actually being able to finally celebrate summer as a family!


Mr. Wonderful must be especially looking forward to the 4th this year (it's been a bad year...loads of rain, farmers unable to get into fields, seed exchanges, blech) 'cuz the other day, he came home with some "fireworks" (in quotes, 'cuz anything that explodes in the air is illegal in MN...well, except bottle rockets, I think...so, really they're more "firecrackers")...our kids were insanely excited to light off their fireworks!


And have a race to see who's went the farthest (why does everything have to be a contest?!)!


I forgot who won, but the 30 seconds it lasted was fun...and gave us a taste of what is soon to come!


(BTW...when I was a kid, the 4th of July always marked the middle of summer for me, for some reason. And now, I can't get that out of my head...so, I feel like summer is 1/2 over when it's barely just begun!! Oh, and spoiler alert: In 6 days the days will start getting shorter. Ugh. I always hated hearing that. I'm sorry.)

Comments

  1. How fun! Strange state rules. In KS we can shoot things into the air (outside of city limits) but Bottle Rockets are out of the question. We have to sneak over to Missouri if we want those. Something about them landing on roofs and setting houses ablaze - but whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say it ain't so! I love weeding my garden at 9 p.m after the littles are snug in their beds. The idea of shorter days already kinda makes me tear up a little...

    Happy summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny...the 4th of July feels like the middle of summer to me also. Crazy! Have a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte