Skip to main content

Calendar Effect

So, I'm about to tell you one of my (many) theories. I know, I know, I could probably make a million dollars from this theory but I'm gonna share it with you...how generous is that? Giving up a lifetime of financial comfort all in the name of a blog post?

Okay, so here goes:

You know, how, when you are young, a 30 minute car ride seemed to take forever? Or it felt like summer vacation lasted soooooo long? Or that Christmas (or your favorite holiday, I'll reference Christmas, since it's my favorite holiday) took ages and ages to arrive? Then, suddenly, you become an adult and that 30 minute car ride is a breeze, so quick you'll take it just to "pick up a little something", and summer vacation is gone nearly as soon as it arrives, and you've barely put away the Christmas decorations and it's time to take them out again?

Now, I know studies have already been done on this. That "they" have found something in adults brains (I believe it is the hippocampus, or something that gives the perception of time speeding up. But, doesn't hippocampus sound like somewhere large, desert dwelling animals go to college?)...okay, so where we? Oh, yeah...hippocampuses (or would the plural be 'hippocampii'?). So, apparently something to do with adult hippocampuses gives us the perception that time speeds up. I don't buy it.

My theory? I'll call it the "Calendar Effect". I think that as children, you pay no attention to time, dates, etc. As adults, it seems like that's all we do. When is the mortgage due, when do I have to work, when do the kids have a doctor appointment? When is soccer/tennis/piano/guitar/dance/etc.?

You see, I believe, that as adults (especially in this society) we are sooooo calendar focused that we lose what kids do best. Living in the moment. We are always looking forward to another date, another time, another event that we (consciously or sub-consciously) reach one date and have already moved on to the next. Hence, the "Calendar Effect".

I first realized this during pregnancy (and, for anyone who may have been confused by my last post, no, I am not pregnant!!)...when you finish one prenatal exam and you are already thinking about/counting down to the next. Perhaps that is why we enjoyed "Christmas Countdown Chains" as children...a visual, something to look forward to removing and knowing we were one. day. closer.

I really wish I weren't a victim of the Calendar Effect...I would love nothing more than to spend my days content in time. No worries about bills to pay, when my annual physical is due, or that school is (very) quickly approaching. Yeah, I'd be okay with that. But, instead, I see life cruising by at speeds so fast I barely can see what's passing me by. I see my babies getting excited for school to start and asking over and over "how much more minutes mom?" when we're on a car ride. I wish I could tell them (and that they'd understand) to enjoy this weird time warp that we live...that someday all to soon, they will be wondering where the time went.

And that my friends, is my theory. The Calendar Effect. Excuse me now while I go fill out my calendar for the next couple months...

(Oh, and hee, hee...my spell checker told me that hippocampus was two words, as in, hippo campus--apparently spellchecker thinks it's also a college for desert dwelling animals!)


Comments

  1. Great post! I concur!
    I think with kids the time goes by even faster. Seems to me it took forever for my first child to reach a milestone...we waited and waited..now with the second I can hardly remember...did she do that??? She must have...look at her now? I can only imagine that with the additional number of children...the quicker everything goes.

    Your blog is very "pretty". I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting your blog for the first time (found it from Blog Frog) and love this post! I've talked about the "Calendar Effect" for a long time. Well, ever since becoming a SAHM. Ever since I left the workforce, I'm never really sure what day of the week it is, and the actual date always surprises me. It annoys my husband to no end. But now I can tell him that it's just because I've been living with our many small ones and their little baby hippocampii for so long that it's starting to rub off on me : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right! Is there any way we can get our hippocampus fixed? hee hee! Or someone please figure out how to slow down time!

    Also, I just wanted to let you know that I awarded you with a "One Lovely Blog Award"
    Check out my post for info: http://oswaldcuties.blogspot.com/2009/08/round-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I never thought of that! It's SO TRUE! I agree with the above commentor, HeatherOz--"Is there any way we can get our hippocampus fixed?" Maybe we could go to the "Hippo Campus" so our "hippocampii" can learn to slow down?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I am hooked! (I had told myself to quit "finding" yet one more great blogger to follow, cuz I really need to limit my blog reading time, NOT add to it!...but here I am and I just became a follower! It's been less than 2 months, since I started blogging, so I still feel like a baby blogger... and learning all the time! boy, I have lots of blog-learning to do!)

    I love your humor!!!

    My hubby says it like this...As we get older, life is like a roll of toilet paper...it just rolls faster and faster, as it gets closer to the end.

    Blessings & Aloha!

    If ya get a minute and take a peek at my blog, please leave a comment so that I know that you were there.

    ...off to read more of yours...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte