Skip to main content

Please, Lord, give me patience...

Oh man, oh man, oh man...I'm feelin' like a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" mom. Please bear with me, I've just gotta get this out. My teenager, aka my "guinea pig", is really testing my patience. Really. This boy has got me totally on edge!

Because I have never done the teenage years before, (I mean, you know, as a parent) it's hard for me to know when this "phase" is gonna be over (and I'm praying it is just a phase)...and I'm hopin' it's darn soon! He is a pretty dang good kid, what gets me is his tone of voice, and when I correct him, I get "what did I say". I find myself repeating over and over again, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it". And what I'm even more upset with, is that I find myself following suit. By gum, I'm regressing back to my teenage years! And, gee, what a fabulous example that is! Arrrggggghhhhh, help me!

We have always found that after Big A. gets back from his weekend with his dad, he's lippy to beat heck...usually it straightens out quickly with boundaries, but this time...it's not getting better! And to make it worse, I feel annoyed by him. That is an awful feeling, I feel horribly guilty. He has always been an argumentative kid, he'd "argue with a stop sign" (in his own words!)...we say he'll make a great lawyer someday. But, he doesn't know when to not argue. Seems like everything is a battle..."Big A., it'll take us about two hours to get there."

"No it won't, it says it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes."

"Big A., I've got crusty boogers."

"No you don't, they're runny."

It just goes on and on.

I'm praying, and I try not to pray for someone else to change, I always try to pray for change within myself...you know, understanding, patience, knowledge. I want to enjoy our time together, I don't want to be always snippy and anticipating a challenge.

Please, Lord, grant me the patience, grace, understanding and knowledge to be a good parent. Please help me lead by example and not follow suit with bad behavior. Please, Lord, walk along beside me as I parent through these treacherous times and guide me in my parenting. Amen.

Comments

  1. With three teenagers, I can SO relate! Will be praying for you and your son both. Thanks for being so transparent. I love your blog. :-)

    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, I feel right at home here. I have a brand spankin' new teenage son myself. New in the sense that he just turned 13 in March. I have a serious problem holding my tongue because of my own attitude. It is so hard to deal with this because he is such a good kid. I've always been so proud of him and his manners. He still has them, but now he has a voice and more of an opinion. Not liking this phase at all. The thing is I have 4 more children and every 2 years they will become teenagers from this point. Yikes!! I'm scared but I know that the Lord will help me through it. I think you made a key statement in wanting to change yourself. That is certainly where I need to start.

    It was great stopping by here. I'll be back. :-) Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte